Mastering the Buying Process
In a nutshell, a buyer has achieved a successful purchase when
I help buyers achieve a successful purchase by guiding them through six key steps:
1. Making sure the buyer is pre-approved by a lender before starting to look for a home. This serves two purposes: (a) the buyers will know how much they are qualified to spend on a property and therefore not waste everyone's time looking at homes that don't fall in their comfort zone; (b) and they will have met the seller's first criterion for considering them to be credible buyers.
2. Providing total access to properties of choice. There is a lot more to finding the right home than just surfing the internet, looking at ads, attending Open Houses, driving through neighborhoods and using the traditional MLS. I can help buyers locate the hidden or "quiet" properties by checking with other real estate agents who might have listings coming aboard in the near future, looking for "neighborhood matches" contacting private owners (such as FSBOs) and monitoring social media. I also use a state-of-the-art monitoring system that alerts buyers when new properties come on the market. To give the buyers and me a starting point for searching, I help them identify the "must-have" and "would-be-nice-to-have" criteria for properties they hope to buy and double check that against their financial qualifications.
3. Helping negotiate the best purchase price, which is not always the lowest price. It's the price that secures the property a buyer wants. I do this by educating buyers on market trends, conducting market studies, uncovering each buyer's competitive position and strategically constructing the purchase offer by balancing price with fair market value as modified by the seller's specific situation.
For instance, factors such as what the seller paid for the property, how long it's been on the market, the seller's circumstances (e.g., relocation?), and even the identity of the listing agent can provide insights into a possible purchase strategy for the buyer. Sometimes I can find properties that are not yet available to the general public, thereby giving the buyer first choice and an opportunity to negotiate a contract on the buyer's terms. There's no reason to put too much money in the seller's pocket!
4. Negotiating to secure the sale. Protecting the buyer's best interests and finding a "win-win" is where the sale begins or ends. This is where I skillfully package the offer up front to eliminate as many potential stumbling blocks as possible. I pre-negotiate to uncover seller-side non negotiables so as not to include them in the offer, which otherwise might alienate the seller. I take extra care to include critical elements which favorably position the buyer's offer -- written mortgage pre-approval letter, earnest money deposit, and a cover letter, as appropriate. I also pre-sell the offer to the listing agent, addressing any concerns and building value.
5. Managing details for a worry-free purchase. There are lots of moving parts in a real estate transaction and things can go amiss if there's a lack of attention to detail. I heard recently that 80% of problems in the journey to closing result from inattention to detail by the real estate agents and the remaining 20% to ineffective communication between the real estate agent and the client. I pay keen attention to both.
6. Protecting the buyer's interest by serving as a trusted advisor. I am a consultant -- educating and guiding -- versus a typical salesperson whose focuses on selling, sometimes pressuring along the way. My buyers and their best interests are my top priority!
I fulfill the role of trusted advisor through fiduciary responsibility, loyalty, advising and counseling, adhering to the high standards in the REALTORS®
Code of Ethics, staying on task and on time, and bringing with me a quality company.
When you choose an agent, you're also choosing a company and its culture reflects how its clients are treated. With Berkshire Hathaway HomeServices Towne Realty, the client always comes first, and that means this quality company partners with me to deliver the highest quality of service to you.
Buying a home is one of the major purchase decisions of your life and I want to help make your buying journey as rewarding and as hassle free as possible.
So, if these six steps resonate with you, then I'd be delighted to serve as your buyer representative.